Dragon Ruins



Classes are wrapping up for me and I've been juggling time around quite a bit this past month.  I got to attend GDC and it was incredible to get to talk to so many artists and meet so many people in such a short amount of time.

I was inspired to start working from the moment I got back home.  So what I decided to do was to work on something that could be used on a game that is currently out.  I have played League of Legends since the start of their beta a few years ago.  Their art-style has always caught my eye so I decided to work on something to fit within their world.

The area around the Dragon enemy always felt a bit empty to me, so I decided to work on a little environment to house him.  I figured Roman-ish ruins would fit the theme so I started working by figuring out the perspective and laying out some blockout structures:

Blockout on left, League of Legends screenshot on right

After that I tried to see how things could work on the center area.  I've been keeping up with the use of paintovers to do this type of concepting and it's been incredibly handy.  Here is what I came up with after a bit of working:

Arena-like!
So once I had an idea of how to go about the center I then went back to Photoshop and did some more work trying to figure out how to go about the lighting and overall colors:


Once that was done I was able to go back into Maya and hammer out the assets.  After a couple days I moved on to UDK to set up my scene.  I'm still working on the overall scene, as well as the individual assets but here is where I am currently with it:

WIP inside UDK

And here is an unlit version of the same shot:



I've been putting a heavy focus on making sure things are always low-res and as low poly as possible especially since I've been aiming to have it be as true to the League of Legends specs as possible.  here is an atlas of all the textures currently used in my scene:


About the Blog

Gallery of current works by Kenneth Kozan, Game Artist.