Mimic Chest


This is a quick little prop I've been working on for the past couple of days.  Things are wrapping up with Pirates Vs Pirates so the demand for new art went down a bit - it's been more of tweaking of models/textures that are already in place.

Whenever I play games I always open every treasure chest I see, so mimics have a special place in my heart because they always get me.  I wanted to work on a prop so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

This time around I wanted to do my own concept so I started laying shapes down and after about an hour this is what I arrived at:


From there it was a matter of modeling and texturing a little bit every night after getting home from working on Pirates Vs Pirates.  Overall it took me about 5 days to complete it:



Wireframe
Body Texture
Tongue Texture

For this prop I ended up trying out Marmoset and it's incredible how easy it is to just plug things in and get it rolling quickly.  Here's a turnaround of the Mimic:

About the Blog

Gallery of current works by Kenneth Kozan, Game Artist.