Scoop the Baby Owl Warrior


This is Scoop, the baby owl warrior. During my game character creation class we had to create an original character and model/texture it according to our concept.

The idea for scoop started when I saw this picture of a baby scops owl. The owl itself is absolutely adorable, so I imagined it wearing a viking hat and wielding a sword. I drew some sketches and had most of his details and color scheme planned out.



From there I created the base mesh using ZSpheres in ZBrush. I retopologized it and began sculpting the high res version of the character. This is what the final sculpt:




I then exported each piece out and baked the normal maps in Maya. After the base AO and normals were comped together I moved over to 3D-Coat. I stayed in 3D-Coat until I completed both diffuse and spec textures.

Once all the textures were good to go I retuned to Maya and put the materials together for the final render. The final tri-count is 9108, and his diffuse/normal/spec textures are 2048x2048.  This is how he turned out:





About the Blog

Gallery of current works by Kenneth Kozan, Game Artist.