Traditional Art: 3D Works


So here are some other works I created during my traditional art classes.

This was my character maquette project. We had to design a character and draw out the standard turnaround, as it would be a "blueprint" for our sculpture.

I liked the idea of a viking dwarf so I decided to explore on it, and in the end came up with this design:



Once the character was figured out, we had to think about the posing of the character to make an interesting sculpture.  One of the most important aspects of a sculpture is it's silhouette.  These are some of the poses I had in mind:



With a final pose decided we proceeded to create the wire skeleton for the sculpey to build around.  Since my character was quite chubby I used a bit of tinfoil to give his torso some mass.  I also used it in the horns and feet.  

After a few days of working, I smoothed the sculpture out and baked it.  This is the how it turned out:






Minigimli stands proud and readies for battle.





















This next project is technically 3D but it is composed of 2D elements.  We were tasked to take an existing image with distinct foreground-middleground-background elements and break them down into planes.

One of my favorite games is Shadow of the Colossus, as I've always been awed by its incredible atmospheric immersion I thought it would be perfect to break apart a shot of a landscape.  So I chose this picture:



Even though the landscape worked great, it was missing the game's biggest icon: a colossus.  I added one in from another picture and proceeded to break down the planes.  I have always felt that the game has a dreamlike state to it, so I figured that watercolor paints would be perfect for the assignment.  After mapping each subdivision out, the final product turned out like this:




This last project was done prior to my studies at Full Sail.  Back when I attended DAAP, we were tasked to design the cutest robot possible.  The class would vote, break into groups and build the top 4 robots out of cardboard at a very large scale.  The idea was to have these gigantic cute creatures be on display throughout the halls of the school.

My design, Wrenchy the Robot, was one of the chosen ones.



Over the course of 2 weeks we gathered enough cardboard from most furniture stores around the area and got to work.  Wrenchy ended up being about 7 feet tall, and over 9 feet wide.


























No Response to "Traditional Art: 3D Works"

Post a Comment

About the Blog

Gallery of current works by Kenneth Kozan, Game Artist.